George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1696  
Old 27th April 2017, 12:06
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 07-2004
Location: UK
Posts: 646
Thanks: 45
Thanked 978 Times in 340 Posts
Default

Was just listening to Radio 2 and an interesting listener contribution popped up. It was a secret gig text in.

Someone sad a young curly haired lad filled in for a eukele band in Cirencester in 1979. And it was... George Michael.

He would have been 16. That pre-dates any other public performance I'm aware of by some time.
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
georgeandwhamfan (28th April 2017), GMthx (28th April 2017), GoodFairy (27th April 2017), Kitty Purry (27th April 2017), ladyjayne (27th April 2017), mare (27th April 2017), SirLala (27th April 2017), Toto (28th April 2017), VigilanteMovie (27th April 2017), Whamtastic (27th April 2017)
  #1697  
Old 28th April 2017, 08:31
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: India
Posts: 257
Thanks: 430
Thanked 688 Times in 211 Posts
Default

This is the one of the best documentaries that explains in detail George Michael's relationships with Record labels and Managers.
It also has a lot of background info that I had not heard of before. I have read about him sitting in France after WHAM! broke up drinking heavily, with occasional visits from Kathy. Here they say it was a visit from Andrew that helped him clear his head and he started working on Faith.
Also insight into why he was unhappy on the Faith tour. He had trouble with his voice and made frequent visits to Drs fuelling press speculation that he might have AIDS.
More insights into GMs generous work for charities. I did not know his label was unhappy about him working with so many AIDS charities. Also ironical how well FAITH did in America, but not so much in the UK. Then it became the opposite for the rest of his career.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYNb0gKn7Sw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXMLKG8PuUg

Last edited by GMMegaFan; 28th April 2017 at 08:50..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
Katra (28th April 2017)
  #1698  
Old 28th April 2017, 11:37
Seba.GM's Avatar
Seba.GM Seba.GM est déconnecté
old fan and collector
 
Join Date: 07-2004
Location: Venezia, Italy
Posts: 971
Thanks: 386
Thanked 1,380 Times in 434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamMan View Post
Was just listening to Radio 2 and an interesting listener contribution popped up. It was a secret gig text in.

Someone sad a young curly haired lad filled in for a eukele band in Cirencester in 1979. And it was... George Michael.

He would have been 16. That pre-dates any other public performance I'm aware of by some time.
eukele band?? Cirencester??
can you be more detailed?
I think this is not true ...
__________________
[SIGPIC]

If you are the desert
I'll be the sea
If you ever hunger
Hunger for me
Whatever you ask for
That's what I'll be
Reply With Quote
  #1699  
Old 28th April 2017, 15:16
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: Ct.
Posts: 393
Thanks: 737
Thanked 501 Times in 245 Posts
Default

GMmegafan- the YouTube biography was good! Thanks for posting that. It went into some more detail than most on a few things, particularly the trouble between him and Sony . While I do see his points it was handled wrong and he really paid the price career wise. It sounded like he was being rebellious and stubborn but most of his actions hurt his new album and his career! Too bad because LWP deserved more attention . Hard to comprehend why he couldn't see or wasn't advised to take his transition from teen idol to a more serious singer / songwriter not in the spotlight much slower . Would of made all the difference ,IMO.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (28th April 2017)
  #1700  
Old 28th April 2017, 17:09
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 07-2004
Location: UK
Posts: 646
Thanks: 45
Thanked 978 Times in 340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba.GM View Post
eukele band?? Cirencester??
can you be more detailed?
I think this is not true ...
Each morning on Chris Evan's breakfast show they do a 'Top Tenuous'. They pick a theme and you text in with your experience. This one was secret gigs. Big bands playing under pseudonyms or turning up in local pubs etc. Someone mentioned Madness playing as The Dangermen but I'm a Madness fan and that's quite well known. Another one was Eric Clapton playing under a random name in a pub.

That's literally all that was said about George. And I thought nice to know but it doesn't really fit the theme as George wasn't known by then.

There's nothing more to tell you and I don't know if it's true or not. I'm sure people are capable of making things up for that feature. But if you think it isn't true say why as I sure as heck don't know what George's movements were at 16 years of age to verify it or otherwise.

I was just surprised Chris Evans didn't jump on it and call the guy back. Perhaps he did and I missed it as I'd got to work...
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
GoodFairy (28th April 2017), Seba.GM (28th April 2017)
  #1701  
Old 28th April 2017, 18:24
Seba.GM's Avatar
Seba.GM Seba.GM est déconnecté
old fan and collector
 
Join Date: 07-2004
Location: Venezia, Italy
Posts: 971
Thanks: 386
Thanked 1,380 Times in 434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamMan View Post
Each morning on Chris Evan's breakfast show they do a 'Top Tenuous'. They pick a theme and you text in with your experience. This one was secret gigs. Big bands playing under pseudonyms or turning up in local pubs etc. Someone mentioned Madness playing as The Dangermen but I'm a Madness fan and that's quite well known. Another one was Eric Clapton playing under a random name in a pub.

That's literally all that was said about George. And I thought nice to know but it doesn't really fit the theme as George wasn't known by then.

There's nothing more to tell you and I don't know if it's true or not. I'm sure people are capable of making things up for that feature. But if you think it isn't true say why as I sure as heck don't know what George's movements were at 16 years of age to verify it or otherwise.

I was just surprised Chris Evans didn't jump on it and call the guy back. Perhaps he did and I missed it as I'd got to work...
Thank you very much
Reply With Quote
  #1702  
Old 28th April 2017, 18:39
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est déconnecté
Star People
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: UK
Posts: 84
Thanks: 157
Thanked 159 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
GMmegafan- the YouTube biography was good! Thanks for posting that. It went into some more detail than most on a few things, particularly the trouble between him and Sony . While I do see his points it was handled wrong and he really paid the price career wise. It sounded like he was being rebellious and stubborn but most of his actions hurt his new album and his career! Too bad because LWP deserved more attention . Hard to comprehend why he couldn't see or wasn't advised to take his transition from teen idol to a more serious singer / songwriter not in the spotlight much slower . Would of made all the difference ,IMO.
Because the fame he'd acquired from the Faith album, which he felt was based on an image that wasn't the real him, was driving him crazy. He wanted to kill that image as quickly as possible. I don't think George ever regretted the Sony action, even if it must have been an extremely frustrating period for him and took a few years out of his career. Basically he'd already achieved everything he had ever dreamed of achieving and he could afford to take a risk. I still don't really know how justified it was if we're basing it on George's alleged reasons at the time, but he's since said that it was a means of venting his anger over Anselmo. From this point on his career became secondary to him.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VigilanteMovie For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (28th April 2017), GMMegaFan (28th April 2017), neko011 (28th April 2017), SirLala (28th April 2017)
  #1703  
Old 28th April 2017, 19:01
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: Ct.
Posts: 393
Thanks: 737
Thanked 501 Times in 245 Posts
Default

That's true but still think he could of scaled waaaay back without doing the disappearing act . Ultimately his choice of course and think you are right , career wasn't as important anymore. He had achieved so much in that decade , but from outside point of view he did squander a lot of years of his life and musical life , that is a shame .
Reply With Quote
  #1704  
Old 28th April 2017, 19:15
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est déconnecté
Star People
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: UK
Posts: 84
Thanks: 157
Thanked 159 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
He had achieved so much in that decade , but from outside point of view he did squander a lot of years of his life and musical life , that is a shame .
Yes undeniably his career lost momentum and further incidents in the future ensured that it would never recover. It also didn't help that he wouldn't tour for so long and although I'm constantly cursing myself that I never went to any of the concerts, I'm so glad he did the 25Live and Symphonica tours and reminded everbody of the strength of his material and what a classy live performer he was. In the early noughties it honestly didn't look like it would ever happen again.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VigilanteMovie For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (28th April 2017), Katra (28th April 2017)
  #1705  
Old 28th April 2017, 19:40
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: Ct.
Posts: 393
Thanks: 737
Thanked 501 Times in 245 Posts
Default

100 percent on everything you said ! I missed him on live 25, regret it, but feel at lease dvd filled me in. It is an enigma though, someone could walk away from the high of performing, I know many lows to touring but sure he could of worked out smaller scale. If all the problems didn't set in, it sounds like this would of been his mindset anyway. Bruce Springsteen who I love, feel is the benchmark for live performers had/ has depression but said no greater high than being up there performing, if anyone tried it even for a night, they'd understand. Too bad GM couldn't have felt that way.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
VigilanteMovie (28th April 2017)
  #1706  
Old 28th April 2017, 19:58
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est actuellement connecté
Flawless
 
Join Date: 03-2017
Location: India
Posts: 257
Thanks: 430
Thanked 688 Times in 211 Posts
Default Added Videos

Uploaded the last 2 videos I had from GMs Twitter feed. It was taken during the Paris Photoshoot. The video with him, he had posted upside down I rotated the video and posted it.

https://vimeo.com/channels/1236691
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (28th April 2017), GMfan87' (28th April 2017), GoodFairy (28th April 2017), GreekGirl (28th April 2017), neko011 (28th April 2017), VigilanteMovie (28th April 2017)
  #1707  
Old 28th April 2017, 20:11
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est déconnecté
Star People
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: UK
Posts: 84
Thanks: 157
Thanked 159 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
100 percent on everything you said ! I missed him on live 25, regret it, but feel at lease dvd filled me in. It is an enigma though, someone could walk away from the high of performing, I know many lows to touring but sure he could of worked out smaller scale. If all the problems didn't set in, it sounds like this would of been his mindset anyway. Bruce Springsteen who I love, feel is the benchmark for live performers had/ has depression but said no greater high than being up there performing, if anyone tried it even for a night, they'd understand. Too bad GM couldn't have felt that way.
I think those later tours were much more enjoyable experiences for him and he probably did regret not doing more touring previously, but he also said he just couldn't have handled it in the late 90s/early 00s with everything else going on (bereavement).
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VigilanteMovie For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (28th April 2017), Katra (28th April 2017)
  #1708  
Old 28th April 2017, 20:15
VigilanteMovie VigilanteMovie est déconnecté
Star People
 
Join Date: 02-2017
Location: UK
Posts: 84
Thanks: 157
Thanked 159 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
Uploaded the last 2 videos I had from GMs Twitter feed. It was taken during the Paris Photoshoot. The video with him, he had posted upside down I rotated the video and posted it.

https://vimeo.com/channels/1236691
Does anyone know the name of George's make-up artist? She's the taller lady in that first video.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Custom Search


All times are GMT +3. The time now is 04:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

'George Michael Forums' is a non-commercial, private and unofficial fan site dedicated to George Michael and Wham!.
Content published on 'George Michael Forums' requires permission for reprint. No infringement of any copyright is intended.

Disclaimer | Impressum


Free Visitor Maps at VisitorMap.org
Get a FREE visitor map for your site!