George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > General Discussion

Old 21st April 2017, 18:25
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
These discussions about GM's family made me wonder whether any member of his family is a real GM fan music wise. I know that Andros admired him as a musician. His mother did too. But his dad told him he could not sing before George started his music career. His father's discouragement indeed served as a catalyst or motivation for GM to be successful. Although George seemed to have a good relationship with his father in later years, I do not know whether his father or his sisters were proud of his music achievements. I hope they do like us despite G's death. They actually become more important than ever for helping maintain and extend G's music legacy by helping or agreeing to release more G's music.
In a couple of documentaries, I have seen his Dad speak very proudly of GM. His Dad said I cried when I first saw him perform on stage in the WHAM! days and could not believe this was my son and said that he was really wrong. He also said he was not only proud of him as an artist, but that he is a superb human-being and that is thanks to his Mum. We saw his Dad in Greece on the 25Live tour. During the Royal Albert Hall performace of Symphonica, GM mentioned his Dad was in the audience. Maybe the final years as GMs behaviour became more and more erratic, they got really distressed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
Georgeforever (21st April 2017), GMfan87' (21st April 2017), qp65 (21st April 2017)
Old 21st April 2017, 18:28
bettyblue bettyblue est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by qp65 View Post
I do not know whether his father or his sisters were proud of his music achievements. I hope they do like us despite G's death. They actually become more important than ever for helping maintain and extend G's music legacy by helping or agreeing to release more G's music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMegaFan View Post
I have a feeling that is why they seem so tone deaf to what the fans are feeling.
I guess that nowadays they, although being proud of his purely artistic achievements, would have every right to feel bitter - or even angry - towards his "popstar extreme lifestyle" and its body-weakening consequences. Actually, if I were in their shoes I would feel that way myself.

Then again, I honestly wouldn't say that they're tone deaf to what the fans are feeling ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...le-outpouring/

Dec. 2016 - "The family and close friends of George have been touched beyond words by the incredible outpouring of love for him in the hours and days since his death."

http://www.nme.com/news/music/george...tement-2030010

March 2017 - “George Michael’s family would like to thank his fans across the world for their many messages of love and support."

What else had these folks to do in order to nicely express gratitude and closeness to their loved one's fans without becoming tabloid fodder themselves (that's what they would've instantly become, had they started to talk about the postmortem, the Coroner report, the funeral, the grave etc. etc.)?

As for the release of new music, it's still such an early time in order to tell if the family is responsible for any of the fans' frustration about knowing there are many either finished or nearly finisheds songs in the vaults (at least the notorious "dance music/gay album") but not knowing if and when they'll be released.
Here in Italy, for example, copyright of unreleased material heavily depends on the specific contents both of the artist's will and of the contract signed by the artist and his/her publishers when the artist was alive ("The heirs are granted copyright upon unreleased material only if the author didn't specifically ban its publishing and didn't give the publishing rights to any other people": article 24 of the Italian Copyright Law.).
I don't know UK copyright laws about unreleased material. Neither I know whether they're similar to those of the US (being both Common Law countries, which Italy isn't), but, if for more or less a year the situation of Prince's unreleased music kept on being the following mess (now it looks like Universal bought the rights at least for part of it: http://www.spin.com/2017/02/universa...eleased-music/ ), again I wouldn't put any blame upon George's dad and sisters for not letting fans know anything - so far - about future releases ...

https://www.wired.com/2016/04/prince...-what-happens/

"(...) Now the question is, what will happen to what’s inside the vault? A few years ago, Prince made a passing reference to releasing it all in 2013, but nothing came of it. He also once threatened to just burn everything. Will the world ever hear the rest of what Prince made?
Well…It Depends.
The short answer is … maybe. “I would anticipate that Prince and his lawyers had long conversations about that many years ago,” says Siva Vaidhyanathan, a media professor at the University of Virginia. Prince almost certainly specified in his will what he wants done with the archive, and his executor is bound by its terms. “We would only really learn the terms if his estate decided to release the music,” Vaidhyanathan says. “And he could have instructed his heirs, his estate, never to release the material.”
It’s important to understand that even unreleased songs are protected by copyright as soon as an artist writes them down. “Once [Prince] created it,” says Mike Carrier, a law professor at Rutgers, “it was fixed. It wasn’t just in his head. He didn’t just sing it once; he recorded it.” Still, no one knows who owns those copyrights now. Given his history with, and distrust of, the music industry, Prince’s heir or heirs may well fully own the recordings. Copyright lasts the life of the artist, plus 70 years. (Mark your calendars for 2086, when Purple Rain enters the public domain.) But “copyright is so much more about contracts, than it is about federal policy,” Vaidhyanathan says. (...)."

Last edited by bettyblue; 28th April 2017 at 01:37..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bettyblue For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (21st April 2017), GMMegaFan (21st April 2017), Katra (21st April 2017), Toto (21st April 2017)
Old 21st April 2017, 19:14
whamhamster whamhamster est actuellement connecté
Young Gun

I noticed when George was holding that short press conference after having pneumonia he said he had developed "strep-something". I researched and discovered that streptococcus pneumonia is what killed Jim Henson, and the bacteria is also damaging to other organs such as the heart. There's also other bacterial infections that can wreck havoc on the heart as my great grandmother died from heart problems due to a typhoid infection back in the early 1940's. When George died I immediately thought of the infection he had damaged his heart as in my great grandmother's case she died after a year or so after her infection. With George could have been the "collapse" in his home could have been heart related due to the pneumonia bacteria damaging his heart, then smoking and drinking made his already weakened heart and lungs more damaged.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whamhamster For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (21st April 2017), Katra (21st April 2017)
Old 21st April 2017, 19:41
ladyjayne ladyjayne est déconnecté
Flawless

I'm not sure what people think the family 'owe' the fans. When we buy the records or the concert tickets we get what we paid for and I don't think George, much less his family, who never asked for any of this, 'owe' us anything else.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (21st April 2017), GMfan87' (21st April 2017), Katra (21st April 2017), Whamtastic (22nd April 2017)
Old 21st April 2017, 19:46
ladyjayne ladyjayne est déconnecté
Flawless

Quote:
Thanks for your professional point of view. From this NY Times article at that time it was clear that it was not Sony vs GM alone, but watched with great interest by the whole entertainment industry:
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/22/ar...inst-sony.html

Do you think the lawyers did not warn him sufficiently that he was tilting at windmills and the potential damage the case could cause his career? Or GMs well-known need for control over all aspects of his career which he thinks he did not have with LWP, his emotional state and his stubborn nature blinded him to the consequences. It was a highly risky and gutsy move, though foolhardy.
I'm sure his lawyers would have advised on his prospects of success - they were a very experienced and highly competent team. We do know from Simon Napier Bell's book that George totally ignored the legal advice he got in relation to the first contract and it seems to be a common thread of people's recollections of his professional life that he rarely asked for advice and never took it unless it happened to correspond with what he wanted to so anyway. I remember Shirley Kemp laughing in an interview that she never saw him take anyone's advice in respect of work in all the years she knew him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (21st April 2017), GMMegaFan (21st April 2017)
Old 21st April 2017, 20:29
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

I can't imagine being in the family's situation but if I was I wouldn't have even considered the release of his music yet. The shock, stages of grief, long wait on results, funeral, figuring out what to do with his assets.. Think when things are settled , maybe a few months from now that will be a discussion probably. They don't owe us a thing but I feel it's more about George, music was very important to him so if he had more left he wanted to say, that should be released.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
Katra (21st April 2017), whamhamster (22nd April 2017)
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:07
Sonya7 Sonya7 est déconnecté
Flawless

George wasn’t in the final cut of documentary, the reason for this lies in a public comment the documentary’s producer, Ross Wilson, made, claiming that George had refused to take HIV tests for three years because he was too worried that he might be positive.

As a result, George asked for his interview to be taken out, and hasn’t really spoken to Stephen since.

George explained: “Stephen did nothing directly, but his producer said something publicly that was such a dreadful lie I thought about legal action. And I was shocked that, given the nature of our friendship until then, Stephen never called me to explain or distance himself from the liar.”

I was just terribly hurt that yet another gay man seemed happy to let me hang out to dry for the entertainment of homophobes. Having said that, I still think Stephen is a lovely man and a huge talent.”

Source: BBCAmerica
Old 22nd April 2017, 15:14
Flawless

I'm not saying he lied , because I think he was mostly brutally honest , but seems very odd this producer would make that up. I have to say George threw the word homophobic around far too much . It seemed if someone disagreed with his actions they were labeled homophobic . Was this part of the result of his drug use? He would also harp on the media , made him seem paranoid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMfan87' For This Useful Post:
Katra (22nd April 2017), ladyjayne (23rd April 2017), Whamtastic (22nd April 2017)
Old 22nd April 2017, 15:38
Nanabug Nanabug est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
I'm not saying he lied , because I think he was mostly brutally honest , but seems very odd this producer would make that up. I have to say George threw the word homophobic around far too much . It seemed if someone disagreed with his actions they were labeled homophobic . Was this part of the result of his drug use? He would also harp on the media , made him seem paranoid.
I thought the same thing as I've gone back and learned abt George after his death that he threw that term around too often, usually when someone didn't agree with him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nanabug For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (22nd April 2017), Katra (22nd April 2017)
Old 22nd April 2017, 22:44
georgeandwhamfan georgeandwhamfan est actuellement connecté
Young Gun

I really appreciate the lawyers' perspectives here on the Sony case. I've been thinking a lot over the past few weeks about this case and its affect on George.

It seems that it took a great toll on him and affected his career in the US throughout the rest of his life. He could never really live it down and it was almost as if he was punished for taking them to court.

I think he said somewhere that he was pretty much blacklisted here the States as a result of that case. Looking back now and catching up on a lot of things that were going on with George over the years, it's become very clear to me that that is exactly what happened.

He didn't get much radio air play or promotion here, and as a result, there was so much that his American fans have missed out on. That is really hard to take.

I'm discovering a lot of music, interviews, articles, videos and other things that I didn't even know he put out. I've been wondering how I missed so much with him, but it all makes sense now.

Sony seems to have had issues with many big name stars over the years. MJ, Mariah and George all had problems with top executives there. Seems to be a lack of respect for artists.

I think the "elephant in the courtroom" point that ladyjayne wrote about makes a lot of sense and it's sad that George couldn't openly express his thoughts about that issue at that time. I can certainly understand why he would be angered enough to want to cut ties with Sony over Don Ienner's remarks about him. Especially given the vulnerable and fragile state that he was in in his personal life at the time.

George seemed to be a highly sensitive man and he was going through so much back then. He must have felt as if he had the world on his shoulders during that trial.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to georgeandwhamfan For This Useful Post:
bettyblue (22nd April 2017), GMfan87' (22nd April 2017), GMMegaFan (23rd April 2017), GreekGirl (22nd April 2017), isilweth (23rd April 2017), Katra (22nd April 2017), ladyjayne (23rd April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:36
GMMegaFan GMMegaFan est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandwhamfan View Post
I really appreciate the lawyers' perspectives here on the Sony case. I've been thinking a lot over the past few weeks about this case and its affect on George.

It seems that it took a great toll on him and affected his career in the US throughout the rest of his life. He could never really live it down and it was almost as if he was punished for taking them to court.

I think he said somewhere that he was pretty much blacklisted here the States as a result of that case. Looking back now and catching up on a lot of things that were going on with George over the years, it's become very clear to me that that is exactly what happened.

He didn't get much radio air play or promotion here, and as a result, there was so much that his American fans have missed out on. That is really hard to take.

I'm discovering a lot of music, interviews, articles, videos and other things that I didn't even know he put out. I've been wondering how I missed so much with him, but it all makes sense now.

Sony seems to have had issues with many big name stars over the years. MJ, Mariah and George all had problems with top executives there. Seems to be a lack of respect for artists.

I think the "elephant in the courtroom" point that ladyjayne wrote about makes a lot of sense and it's sad that George couldn't openly express his thoughts about that issue at that time. I can certainly understand why he would be angered enough to want to cut ties with Sony over Don Ienner's remarks about him. Especially given the vulnerable and fragile state that he was in in his personal life at the time.

George seemed to be a highly sensitive man and he was going through so much back then. He must have felt as if he had the world on his shoulders during that trial.
The Sony case was a massive blow to his career monetarily and in terms of his lost American market long term. The money he lost in terms of his contract and career, his legal fee and Sony's legal fee which he was ordered to pay as he lost the case was big money back then. Somebody put it at a total of 15-30 million pounds. As he said during the Symphonica tour, Sony ruined Terence Trent D'Arby's career by keeping him signed but not promoting him. He said Sony only managed to ruin my career in America.

But I liked the way he took the whole loss on his chin at that time. In the John Norris interview for Older, the way he said I totally lost on everything in the Sony case, all 10 counts, everything, it made me want to reach out and give him a hug. He was very stubborn and principled, sometimes probably foolishly so.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GMMegaFan For This Useful Post:
georgeandwhamfan (23rd April 2017), GMfan87' (23rd April 2017), Katra (23rd April 2017), Sonya7 (24th April 2017), whamhamster (24th April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017, 16:22
Flawless

While that was a very good interview , he seemed embittered and unhappy in it .
Old 23rd April 2017, 16:57
Katra Katra est déconnecté
Flawless

Still embittered about Sony case and I guess unhappy because his Mum was already sick ...
Old 23rd April 2017, 17:47
Flawless

That's probably true .. He got hit with so much in the 90's .
Old 24th April 2017, 02:08
georgeandwhamfan georgeandwhamfan est actuellement connecté
Young Gun

Quote:
The Sony case was a massive blow to his career monetarily and in terms of his lost American market long term. The money he lost in terms of his contract and career, his legal fee and Sony's legal fee which he was ordered to pay as he lost the case was big money back then. Somebody put it at a total of 15-30 million pounds. As he said during the Symphonica tour, Sony ruined Terence Trent D'Arby's career by keeping him signed but not promoting him. He said Sony only managed to ruin my career in America.

But I liked the way he took the whole loss on his chin at that time. In the John Norris interview for Older, the way he said I totally lost on everything in the Sony case, all 10 counts, everything, it made me want to reach out and give him a hug. He was very stubborn and principled, sometimes probably foolishly so.
That's a lot of money to lose, especially with the outcome that George got with that case. I thought it was more around 7 million, but even that amount was a lot of money to lose back then. As for Trent, I always wondered what happened to him. He had some really good songs and is so talented. I didn't know he was signed to and had problems with Sony promoting him. George definitely lost big against Sony and I'm sure it sent a huge message to the whole music industry. If George would have won that case it would have set a precedent and been a huge victory for all music artists, which I think ladyjayne touched on in her post as to why people in the music industry were watching that case so closely.

Last edited by georgeandwhamfan; 24th April 2017 at 14:20..
The Following User Says Thank You to georgeandwhamfan For This Useful Post:
GMMegaFan (24th April 2017)