George Michael Forums

Go Back   George Michael Forums > George Michael > News

Old 17th August 2017, 16:15
WhamMan WhamMan est déconnecté

Thanked 1,100 Times in 366 Posts

Faith had great pop songs on it. But most importantly, if you were there at the time, you'll know the level of excitement it generated was pant wetting stuff. It was George at his decadent and pop king best. Even if George later regretted aspects of it.

LWP most certainly showed George's songwriting abilities in a much more mature manner. But that wasn't really a concensus outside of his fan base until many years later. The overwhelming wider public's view was a disappointment it wasn't Faith 2.

Anyway, golden years and across those 2 albums it was George at his finest in my view. Older comes a clear third for me.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WhamMan For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (17th August 2017), GMfan87' (17th August 2017), GoodFairy (17th August 2017), GreekGirl (17th August 2017), isilweth (18th August 2017), ladyjayne (17th August 2017), mare (17th August 2017), neko011 (17th August 2017), Penguin (17th August 2017), SirLala (17th August 2017), VigilanteMovie (17th August 2017), yog_63 (17th August 2017)
Old 17th August 2017, 18:54
SirLala SirLala est actuellement connecté
Flawless

Faith is still one of 87's best if not, one of the greatest albums of all time. An instant classic!!
Old 17th August 2017, 20:08
ladyjayne ladyjayne est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 3,026 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamMan View Post
Faith had great pop songs on it. But most importantly, if you were there at the time, you'll know the level of excitement it generated was pant wetting stuff. It was George at his decadent and pop king best. Even if George later regretted aspects of it.

LWP most certainly showed George's songwriting abilities in a much more mature manner. But that wasn't really a concensus outside of his fan base until many years later. The overwhelming wider public's view was a disappointment it wasn't Faith 2.

Anyway, golden years and across those 2 albums it was George at his finest in my view. Older comes a clear third for me.
100% with you on this. I loved LWP from the start, I think it has aged well (it will be really interesting to see how it does on re-release this Autumn) and I would argue it is the apex of his writing (the later work is more personal and that's why I think it's loved by the more devoted fans but universality is the mark of genius in my book). But I still have the softest spot for Faith as virtuoso pop which caused a sensation at the time and was just so redolent of all the good bits of the 80's - that searing, soaring ballad - OMT; that tricky, seductive soul cry FF; that 4 on the floor to get you on the dance floor IWYS. Genius.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ladyjayne For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (17th August 2017), GMfan87' (17th August 2017), GoodFairy (17th August 2017), GreekGirl (17th August 2017), isilweth (17th August 2017), mare (17th August 2017), Onemoretry (17th August 2017), Penguin (17th August 2017), SirLala (17th August 2017), VigilanteMovie (17th August 2017), yog_63 (17th August 2017)
Old 17th August 2017, 20:34
Onemoretry Onemoretry est actuellement connecté
Flawless

FAITH was even more popular in the US, than the UK, which was remarkable, considering WHAM! was not. Six singles charted in the top ten, four at #1, the album was #1 for 3 months, and charted for over a year. The only other album I can compare it's success and popularity to is Brice Springsteen's Born in the USA, in 1984/85, but he was already an established artist in the US, at the time. The fact this was George's breakthrough solo album, as a British artist, was astounding

Last edited by Onemoretry; 17th August 2017 at 21:33..
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Onemoretry For This Useful Post:
alexa (17th August 2017), DeepBlueDee (17th August 2017), GMfan87' (17th August 2017), GreekGirl (17th August 2017), His Yog (17th August 2017), isilweth (17th August 2017), ladyjayne (17th August 2017), Love George Michael (18th August 2017), mare (17th August 2017), neko011 (17th August 2017), Penguin (17th August 2017), Seba.GM (17th August 2017), VigilanteMovie (17th August 2017), yog_63 (17th August 2017)
Old 17th August 2017, 21:22
bobbiejo bobbiejo est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoretry View Post
FAITH was even more popular in the US, than the UK, which was remarkable, considering WHAM! was not. Six singles charted in the top ten, four at #1, the album was #1 for 3 months, and charted for over a year. The only other album I can compare it's success and popularity to, is Brice Springsteen's Born in the USA, in 1984/85, but he was already an established artist in the US, at the time. The fact this was George's breakthrough solo album, as a British artist, was astounding
I agree. The combination of his talent, good looks, and good moves made him irresistible. I even had a picture of him on my desk at work. Also the release of I Want Your Sex as the first single helped publicized the album.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobbiejo For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (17th August 2017), GMfan87' (18th August 2017)
Old 17th August 2017, 21:47
Flawless

LWP is not only my favorite GM album but, one of my favorite albums of all time, George outdid himself with this record, I always feel emotional everytime I use the record, Amazing from start to finish, With 'Waiting For That Day' being one of my favorite GM tracks, being such an optimistic lovely pop tune.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SirLala For This Useful Post:
GMthx (18th August 2017), neko011 (17th August 2017), yog_63 (17th August 2017)
Old 17th August 2017, 21:51
EmilyPost EmilyPost est déconnecté
#######

Thanked 25,979 Times in 7,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLala View Post
LWP is not only my favorite GM album but, one of my favorite albums of all time, George outdid himself with this record, I always feel emotional everytime I use the record, Amazing from start to finish, With 'Waiting For That Day' being one of my favorite GM tracks, being such an optimistic lovely pop tune.
Have you seen this Sirlala? https://www.instagram.com/p/BXsEhtTj...lcentralonline
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmilyPost For This Useful Post:
GMfan87' (18th August 2017), SirLala (17th August 2017)
Old 17th August 2017, 22:02
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyPost View Post
Yes King

LWP was not very dance heavy album, In fact the album barely has two uptempo songs where the rest are just ballads which made the album more likeble to listen too and matched the overall tone of the album. Slow, Moody and Haunting, My kind of Pop album
Old 17th August 2017, 22:19
alexa alexa est déconnecté
Young Gun

It is interesting to note that these days LWP and Older are regarded as his best albums, but were not that loved by some critics at the time of release, who most likely expected more Faith albums. Faith was absolute massive, the album of a worldwide megastar, but of course you would expect an artist to evolve musically. Surely he didn't want to do a number of Faith albums. And then of course his personal decisions were also playing a huge part in that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexa For This Useful Post:
Bobby101 (17th August 2017), SirLala (17th August 2017)
Old 17th August 2017, 23:32
Bobby101 Bobby101 est déconnecté
Star People

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa View Post
It is interesting to note that these days LWP and Older are regarded as his best albums, but were not that loved by some critics at the time of release, who most likely expected more Faith albums. Faith was absolute massive, the album of a worldwide megastar, but of course you would expect an artist to evolve musically. Surely he didn't want to do a number of Faith albums. And then of course his personal decisions were also playing a huge part in that.
George planned Faith with surgical precision. He wanted it to become a monster in USA and he hit it out of the park!

I think he almost had his solo career planned out in his head before circa 1987. That Rolling stone interview he gave that year promoting Faith is so revealing. (its on you tube).

He basically says this is his shot to compete with Jackson , Madonna , Prince etc. Once he does that and if he succeeds he said he was going to disappear from promotion and just let his music do what it will. He basically knew even then what he was going to do with LWP.

I believe George understood and 'felt' music at a much deeper level than most. And naturally his musical tastes and direction matured far quicker than his audience.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bobby101 For This Useful Post:
DeepBlueDee (18th August 2017), GMfan87' (18th August 2017), isilweth (17th August 2017), SirLala (18th August 2017)
Old 18th August 2017, 00:59
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby101 View Post
George planned Faith with surgical precision. He wanted it to become a monster in USA and he hit it out of the park!

I think he almost had his solo career planned out in his head before circa 1987. That Rolling stone interview he gave that year promoting Faith is so revealing. (its on you tube).

He basically says this is his shot to compete with Jackson , Madonna , Prince etc. Once he does that and if he succeeds he said he was going to disappear from promotion and just let his music do what it will. He basically knew even then what he was going to do with LWP.

I believe George understood and 'felt' music at a much deeper level than most. And naturally his musical tastes and direction matured far quicker than his audience.
This is why George's music is loved by many people, It's Pop music but with meaning and heart in which today's mainstream music lacks nowadays.
The Following User Says Thank You to SirLala For This Useful Post:
isilweth (18th August 2017)
Old 18th August 2017, 01:57
isilweth isilweth est actuellement connecté
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby101 View Post

He basically says this is his shot to compete with Jackson , Madonna , Prince etc. Once he does that and if he succeeds he said he was going to disappear from promotion and just let his music do what it will. He basically knew even then what he was going to do with LWP...

I recently listened to a Japanese interview with George and Andrew from 1983. It's been on YouTube for four years as Wham! interview 1983 - Very young George Michael & Andrew Ridgely. I've transcribed 3:18 to 4:08 when George and Andrew respond to being asked about doing a covers album (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Osamu Masui translated by Steve Harris: A question related to your first album: You did a cover of, uh ...

Andrew Ridgeley: "Love Machine"

SH: ... "Love Machine" and he [OM] was just wondering being apparent avid rhythm -- R&B fans, would it be conceivable for you guys to do an album like Bowie's Pinups --

AR: Pinups

SH: -- in the future where you do an album of nothing but covers? And if you did, what songs would you do?

AR: Mm. No, I don't think we'd do a whole album.

George Michael: Oh, I don't know, I've thought about that before. I thought it would be quite ni--

AR: Not -- not -- not as Wham!

GM: -- Not ... It would be a long time. A long time. I don't know as Wham! I think it would be quite a good idea --

AR:
Okay. [I can't make it out.]

GM: -- but in about four or five albums time, you know.

SH: Mmhm.

AR: Yeah, one down. Yeah, I mean it does, I mean the mood just doesn't take us right now. [I can't make it out.]

GM: Right, it's just there are so many songs that sound like they'd be great to cover...

AR Yeah.

Let's review...

Fantastic
*this interview*
1. Make It Big
2. Faith
3. LWP, Vol. 1
4. Older
5. Songs From The Last Century

That's some really accurate planning! (I know he recorded SFTLC to continue working through writer's block and depression, but I find his prediction of the timing rather prescient of him. )

I am also greatly amused at how appalled Andrew is at the very idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to isilweth For This Useful Post:
SirLala (18th August 2017)
Old 18th August 2017, 03:22
GMfan87' GMfan87' est déconnecté
Flawless

Thanked 1,705 Times in 818 Posts

Interesting but you forgot Wham's 3rd album .
Old 18th August 2017, 03:44
isilweth isilweth est actuellement connecté
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
I did not forget it. George didn't consider either The Final nor Music From The Edge Of Heaven "an album", so I'm going by his definition. I'm trying to remember what interview he said that: maybe Desert Island Discs? He said something like Wham! wanted to release a final four-track single, which they did in the UK, but they couldn't do that in the US, so CBS released a hodgepodge of songs not necessarily meant to be together in an album.
Old 18th August 2017, 03:47
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan87' View Post
Music From The Edge Of Heaven is indeed the third album, but it is understandable for some to not count it.